Monday, February 15, 2010

Task 4

I have chosen Domain 2: The Classroom Environment to be my focus for the next section of this class. The components of this domain that I am most confortable with are organizing physical space, managing classroom procedures and establishing a culture for learning. I struggle most with managing student behaviors. I think they all directly effect creating an environment of respect and rapport. I think a positive respect/rapport environment exists in my classroom, but it could be better.

Component 2a: Creating an Environment of Respect and Rapport is an umbrella for the other components of the domain, so I feel that it is the one that is most strongly tied to instruction.

Component 2d: Managing Student Behavior is the one I would like to focus on and improve within my classroom.

I have established procedures that allow my classroom to flow on a daily basis. For example, every day I check agendas and there is an OA (opening activity) to be done. This gets the students working immediately upon entering the room and cuts down on behavior problems at the beginning of class. I have also utilized some procedures from CHAMP's that give students clear bahvior expectations during various classroom activities. Having clear, posted class expectations goes a long way in classroom management.

I am always looking for new classroom management techniques/ideas. Does anyone have a management technique that you feel is particularly effective? Please share!

6 comments:

  1. I bought a book called "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong when I first became a teacher. I still refer to its wealth of classroom management techniques and suggestions. A couple of my favorite suggestions from the book are to maintain a predictable, task-oriented environment and that the students (not the teacher) should be doing the majority of the work in the classroom. I know that Mr. Wong also has several articles and lists available on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have that book "The First Days of School" by Wong. It is an excellent book and has some great suggestions. Another thing that I have found that works for me is that when the students simply will not stop talking, I get quieter and quieter. Yelling does no good and just shows the students that you are not in control. Growing quieter and quieter seems to help. Often the students will get quiet because the can't hear what I am saying and sometimes I will say things like, "I will give a pack of fruit gummies to the student who can define (fill in the blank)." On those occassions when that does not work, I tell them calmly that they are not wasting my time, they are wasting theirs. I give class time for them to get most, if not all, of their homework done. The longer it takes for the instructional part of the class, the less time they will have to get their homework done. These are things that I have found work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes- if we can't control our class then instruction can not occur. Unfortunately this is something that we learn as teacher with time. I always feel bad for my new teachers who really struggle with this- so much of this comes with time and practice and finding what works for you. When I taught fourth grade I used to keep a timer and start it when the kids were not listening and then stop it when they were back on task. Then i would subtract this time from recess- that sure was a motivator - but not for every year. I just kept trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Wong must be the man, because I was going to suggest him as a reference to use. Also Discipline with Love and Logic is a great tool. More often than not the advice I have received is experience. The more you teach the more you will be able to witness and practice techniques. Some techniques are geared more for elementary than high school but staying fair and respectful works for all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A classroom management tool that I find very handy is the use of "Bobcat Bucks". (Our mascot is a bobcat) Students can earn "bucks" throughout the week for turning in homework, helping others, following directions, etc. They lose bucks for getting a color change, etc. On Fridays we have cash-in where students can use the bucks they've earned to buy candy, small toys, or non-tangible items such as being class helper or moving their desk by a friend. It works really well and the kids love it! I've heard about the Champs program before...is it something that a whole school has to participate in or could I do it on my own?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that classroom management directly effects everything else that occurs in the classroom; especially instruction. I have a "Caught Being Good Jar" in my classroom. Whenever a child goes out of his or her way to do something nice or polite for another or is behaving or on-task when the majority of the class is not they put their name on a ticket and put it in the jar. I draw a name every Friday. The more you're in the jar the better chance you have of winning. The kids love this and as soon as a tell someone to get a ticket the others immediately get on task or start behaving.

    ReplyDelete